Earthquakes and preparing for them is a topic most people do not want to think about until it is too late. The following list should be used as a guideline to help you prepare for an earthquake; getting your earthquake supplies compiled for home, office and car.
Consult your telephone directory white pages for more complete instructions on how to use the items. Additionally, there is a great website, www.72Hours.org which has a downloadable checklist in pdf format.
- Flashlights and a portable radio, extra batteries
- First Aid Kit and handbook
- Fire Extinguisher
- An adjustable wrench and pipe wrench for switching off gas and water if necessary.
- Hammer, screws, pliers, knife or razor blade
- Food (canned and dry) and bottled water (1 gallon/day per person) sufficient for one week for each member of the household. Rotate food periodically.
- Don’t forget food for your pets !
- Alternate means for cooking and preparing the food.
- Bleach for disinfection of water. Even if tap water is working, it may be contaminated and not safe to drink without treating or boiling.
- Mechanical can opener
- Disposable plates and utensils
- Large trash bags
- Medication and eye glasses as necessary-rotate medicine.
- Emergency telephone numbers
- Blankets, Warm Clothing, Sturdy Shoes
- Cash-ATMs and credit cards will not be useable.
- Create a disaster plan for reuniting the members of the household; have a family contact where everyone will check in and a meeting place if possible.